Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Pattern-Matching Striped Binding

Note: This is NOT a binding tutorial.  It is just a tutorial on how to match up the pattern when making your binding.

I have really loved striped binding lately.  I also love diagonally joined binding strips.  And I love matched patterns.  Here's how I make them all work together.

Cut your binding strips to your desired width and trim off the selvedge.  Fold down one end of the strip at a 45 degree angle and press.  {If you are joining several stips, make sure you do this to the same end each time.  I keep track of it by cutting off the selvedge of only one end before I cut my strips.}


Grab your next strip and line up the pattern.


Stitch really close the fold with a matching thread.


Unfold it and trim off the excess about 1/4" away from the seam.


I save those little left-over triangles.  I aspire to make something like this little quilt or maybe some little wonky stars . . . someday.  {I was going to link to an amazing little quilt, but I can.not.find.it.  grrrr.  It's really awesome.  If you know what I'm talking about and you know where it is, please let me know.}

Now press your binding in half and continue binding as you normally would!

Fabric is Hooty Hoot Kangaroo Stripes Green from Riley Blake.

No comments: